Tuesday, January 22, 2008

sutural (wormian) bones

for those of you who don't know, i'm attending school down here at glendale community college, and last week was my first week of school for spring semester. i'm enrolled in nutrition for personal trainers, exercise science, fitness principles, a cpr class, and anatomy/physiology. i have a few classes that start a little later, but so far i love all of my classes and professors! however, i am a little nervous for anatomy since my professor warned us about a million times of just how many people fail the class and how it is a very difficult course... so hopefully i can hack it.

so most of you are probably thinking what the heck are sutural (wormian) bones and why did you title your post that. well, last thursday was my first day of anatomy lab, and i really liked it! that night i was talking to jeff about all the things i learned in anatomy lab. i was asking him to quiz me, to see how much i remembered. i was feeling all excited that for once i could actually carry on a conversation with him about something he learns about every day in school. (usually when this happens we are with our med student friends, and all of the wives just look at our nerdy husbands and have no idea what they're talking about). well, after a little quizzing i pointed out the wormian bones. jeff hesitated a little, then asked, "the wormian bones? i've never heard of those!" i pulled out my notes for evidence that i wasn't crazy or making this up, while he whipped out his anatomy book and low and behold, there it was: the sutural (wormian) bones! after my first day of anatomy lab, i knew something that jeff didn't?? the next thing i said was, "i'm gonna post that on the blog!" so this is my claim to fame! i was just so proud of myself... can't you tell?

to save some of you from googling this, these are tiny bones located on the occipital bone along the lambdoidal suture. in other words, it's on the back of your skull!

15 comments:

Criscell said...

Hi Hilary--Cute blog! I'll add you as friends too! I love this post of yours! Us girls are pretty smart too! Way to go! By the way, you guys both gave great talks on Sunday! Good job!

Sean, Siri, Addie and Connor said...

That is so funny. I love it! Sean laughed so hard and said, "I didn't know sutural bones were called wormian bones."

Amy said...

Good for you. Jeff has always been a smarty pants, so I bet that felt really good! Oh the stories I could tell you... You know I was best friends with Amy I gave her the name Amy Gaga...

Paige said...

Look at you smarty pants! I am so proud that you have actually learned something at college...I usually just b.s. my way through to get a good grade and don't remember what I learned by the end of the semester. :)

erin said...

mmm hm!

Ashley said...

hil! that's was the best story! i bet you felt like you were the smartest girl ever! :) Maybe you should be the MD...think about it! haha

Amy said...

Good job, Hil! I always love when someone can prove Jeffrey wrong! Love it!

Amy said...

Sorry Jeffrey! I didn't mean my last comment to be rude. I just mean that you are really smart and you are not wrong very often.

Chelsie said...

Atta girl Hilary! That's impressive. It sounds like you have a pretty full semester! But I'm glad you're liking all your professors...I took anatomy and physiology up at USU...but I got scared off and dropped it!

Frei Family said...

Wow.. maybe all of us med wives should take your anatomy class.. Rhett would have died... that is if i could carry on a conversation with him about anything related to med school!!!
Bytheway i tagged you, sorry! Go to my blog and you can cut and paste the instructions!!

Redd family said...

Hi Hil- I decided to make my blog private so I need your e-mail address to invite you. Just e-mail me at sarahsredd@gmail.com. thanks!!

Rob and Mare said...

Hey Hils! It was so good to hear from you. Way cute blog! There's nothing better than knowing more than your hubby. Good work!

melanie said...

hey hillary! it's melanie, mare's sister. your blog is super cute! has erin had her baby? she has disappeared from the blogging world...

Anonymous said...

Hillary, cute and way fun blog! This is Rachel Barrett (Hatch) I found your blog in the blogging world. It is so fun to see your life. You'll have to stay in touch (nathancbarrettfamily.blogspot.com)

amy g said...

Hill!! Yeah, you found me! haha now we can keep tabs on eachother old friend! You guys are so cute together, we almost have the same last name, that's funny.