Sunday, September 21, 2008

it's a love/hate thing...

when family comes to visit me.

i think i've posted about this before, so i apologize. but sometimes i think i'm the only person who is this emotional when family leaves. and to add to it, i've also been missing the fall season, one of my favorite seasons. no offense arizona, but i hate this time of year down here. this should be no surprise since i have missed "fall" 3 years in a row now, and i should be grateful since it has been cooling off recently. but 98 - 105 degrees isn't exactly what you call a nice fall day when it's almost october.

my parents came for a short visit. they came to church and had sunday dinner with us, we went to a much anticipated asu football game, went to dinner a couple times, i got to visit them at the beautiful phoenician (where they were staying a few nights) AND i got to go shopping with mom at fashion square, of course. it was wonderful. and as always, i was sad when they had to go. and am now currently depressed. j/k. maybe not depressed, just having myself a little pity party and homesick.

the other day i was thinking about where we're going to live for residency. so i started researching some of the different possibilities. i know this is down the road a bit, but really jeff will be applying for residency before we know it and we'll be living somewhere else for another 4 years. crazy to think about. while doing this, it started to sink in how long this journey really is. though i'm kind of excited to start another adventure and live somewhere new again, it doesn't make another 4 years any shorter or make being away from family any easier. so it added to my current homesickness.

so there's my two cents. i'm not asking for everyone to feel bad for me. it's just something i had to get off my chest. i have so much to be grateful for and i really have nothing to complain about. it's just part of me being my soppy ol' self. and i'll get over it soon. i hope.


on a lighter note, here's some pictures and a little bit about the game:

my wsu roots were showing a little bit and i was so excited, the stadium was huge. it put weber state to shame!

we were among the few who weren't in gold... we stood out just a little.


this is actually a horrible, greasy picture of me. (jeff looks great, of course.) but this is to show just how hot it was. we were literally melting! we'll have to go a little later next time when the temperature starts coming down, maybe october?

there were fireworks after every touch down, and they killed stanford, so we saw alot of them. we had a nice little fireworks show, it was fun. :)

forgive me, the following is about the asu cheerleaders. feel free to read on or skip this commentary if you would like.
some of you could care less, but because of my background it is my obligation to comment on the asu cheerleaders' performance. and here is what i thought of them: BOO!! they pretty much didn't do much of anything but shoulder sits. (however i will give them credit for having more modest uniforms.) my mom and i didn't see one basket toss, one pyramid or any individual partner stunting for that matter. and i was very disappointed to say the least. mainly because they took first place at nationals not too long ago, when i cheered at weber state. the students and mascot were easily more lively than they were. in fact, the students threw each other in the air when ever there was a touch down. it was kind of like a body surfing type thing at a concert, but just throwing them up and down! the number of times depending on the score - and the mascot did push ups. i'd never seen that before and it looked kind of fun!

despite my opinion of the cheer squad, it was so much fun and i would go again! thank you mom and dad for taking us! here is one last good shot:

so glad you could come, i love you and miss you like crazy. now come back!!

17 comments:

erin said...

oh hilly. i hate it when your little tender heart is breaking, cos then it makes my cold, black little heart sad. i hope we can watch troop beverly hills together very, very soon. yes even.

Criscell said...

How fun that your parents got to come visit for a while! I actually ended up sitting by your mom in relief society and she is so nice--just like her daughter!

Amy said...

I am sorry that it's so hard for you when family leaves. At least they got to come see you, though. Where are your possible residency programs? Anywhere close? We miss you guys tons!

Anne said...

Oh I know how you feel! Katie came last week and everytime the car gets quite I want to get Eve going to get some entertainment!!! Oh boo! Did you ever think about doing residency in DC? I hear the GW Hosipital is rockin- then we could be buddies and we would be less family sick, maybe? Ha ok jk, well I'm not joking about coming to DC!

Niki said...

I completely know how you are feeling, I am totally missing the fall season. I keep telling Brian that as much as I like living here I could never live here permanently because of the lack of Autumn. I love October and it is just not the same here. When I sit down and think how much longer we have to be moving around I get a little depressed also. That's the problem with being so close to your family. Your so lucky your family got to come visit it looks like you had a lot of fun!

kalie said...

Looks like a very fun trip, despite the loneliness. I agree that it is far too hot for October but it's a little gross when 95 actually FEELS COOL, wouldn't you agree?

Chelsie said...

we sat by your cute family at the Weber game this weekend, cooper was loving on your mom. i'm glad they got to come down and spend some time with you! we're coming down in october so if you could cool things off a little bit, i'd appreciate it. :-)

Let the Good Times Roll said...

I know what you mean about feeling bummed when family leaves, I totally get the same way! Sounds like you had a fun time with your parents though!

Melissa McFadden said...

Hilary! I seriously just had a post about almost the same thing. But I've only lived away from home for two months. I makes me worried that I will never get over being homesick. Where do you think you guys will go for resiency? I am glad you look at it like an adventure, because that's what I keep calling it too. Hang in there girl. You are a lot farther than us! And I did read your section of the cheerleaders and I thought they sucked when they won nationals. Do you remember their chair/full downs? ha ha ha

amy g said...

uh yeah, that does put weber to shame....sorry to hear about the heat. I would tell you how beautiful logan and sardine canyon are right now with the leaves but i don't want to make you feel bad. oh wait.....sorry.

Ryan and Heidi said...

I wish I could help in some way! I thought 20 min away was bad, but I should remember you guys who have to live out of state away! Next time we come down, we will for sure call!

ashley! said...

hahaha! ya it looks and sounds like you had a fun time! I didn't know you did cheerleading, thats really cool! My sister did too, I think you guys are alike in a lot of ways! I know thats kinda wierd to hear (since you don't know her) but I think you do! :D

Landon and Jen said...

Hello! I just started a blog and saw yours on shellys! I feel for ya though )= I can't wait to go home for christmas!

Michelle Gifford said...

Oh, Hilary. I have felt like that so often. Sometimes it just stinks. I know when my mom leaves, I just want to cry. It will all be worth it and we love where we are, sometimes it is just sad.

But, I am so glad that you are here with me!

Cassie said...

Hey girl, I totally feel your heartache! Except, I didn't go anywhere... everyone left here. I was always moving away, but I ended up staying here. My family is scattered so much. It is hard to say good-bye after spending time together! Hang in there girl...

Carrie Hazar said...

Hi stranger! We are just missing you so much that Madison, Cali, and I are enjoying looking at your pictures on your blog. Madison wants me to write, "I LOVE you and thank you for coming to our house. We are going to Disneyland and we are having a really good time. Can you come to our house sometime?" Cali says, "Hilary, Hilary, Hilary like your haircut. I'm minnie mouse." Cali just got a haircut so she has that on her mind! They keep kissing your picture on the screen, seriously! I am glad you had fun with your parents...I wish I could have met them and told them how much we all love you! Hope to see you soon...we still have a surprise for you.
XOXOXO

FRYER FAM said...

oh how i feel your sorrows. you just need to call me when you're thinking of home & we can mope together- like at the geat mall or something. anyway, you look darling. i love your bangs! its been a long time since i've seen you. we should meet up.