Tuesday, June 10, 2008

the end is in sight

i can't believe it's finally here. finally. tomorrow jeff takes the USMLE (united states medical licensing examination), or in other words, the MD boards. and on saturday he takes the COMLEX (comprehensive osteopathic medical licensing examination), or in other words, the DO boards. i cannot tell you how excited we both are for this grueling time in our lives to be done with. ok, it's mostly been grueling for jeff, but i am just as excited as he is. everyday he says, "i can't wait!" i don't think anyone has studied harder or prepared better for this test than jeff has. he truly amazes me and i'm so proud of him.

just to give you all an idea of how intense these tests are, for each test there are 7 blocks of 50 questions, and you get about an hour to complete each block. so 7 hours of testing, plus a break for lunch. there are thousands of questions they use for these tests but you are only tested on about 350 of those questions. so even though you are studying a plethora of information day in and day out, you have no idea which questions you will be tested on.

i believe faith and prayer play a big part in both of these tests. how is it possible for someone to recall so much information in so little time? there are some, granted, who have that photographic memory. but even still, it is just so much information! there is no doubt in my mind jeff will do well. he has given his best thus far, and you can't ask for more than that. now it is just relying on the lord and having faith that everything will work out the way it is supposed to.

after his orientation for 3rd year next week, we're off to san diego. hallelujah. it will be a fun trip together, i can't tell you how excited i am. only a few more days to go dove! go jeff go!

14 comments:

Amy said...

I am so excited for you guys to be done! We are praying for Jeffrey!! Have so much fun in San Diego! We are excited to see you guys in a couple weeks.

Anne said...

I've never been the first to comment, I feel honored! Haha:) I bet you are so relieved to get your husband back!! John's Bro slept straight for 3 days and then biked for 3 days after he got home last week; and he's only a first year so I bet Jeff is having it rough. I will miss Jerimiahs, John brings it up probably once a month, and that is no lie:)I will for sure get some hook ups for ya in Hawaii! Housing is crazy expensive there but you can find good deals. Actually come to think of it I already can hook you up with the lady that helped us find ours, she's the reason we were able to afford going:)G-Luck with everything, you should visit us in DC we'd love it. Sorry so long!

kalie said...

Fun fun fun! San Diego? Dish on the details!

Ryan and Heidi said...

Yay! I'm so glad the two of you will finally be able to relax and go on a fun vacation! Good Luck Jeff!

Chelsie said...

Good luck Jeff! He'll do great! 7 hours of testing...yikes...you guys definitly deserve a little vacation to San Diego! Have fun!

Laurel said...

I remember those days clearly with my sister and her husband and they are rough and even to this day in residency, boards are stressful and seem more often then they are...i am sure jeff will do great he is so smart. enjoy your time with him!

sara and wade said...

YAY!!! hallelujah! we're praying for you! go jeff! and have fun in san diego! love ya!

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

yeah!!! jeff is done with his boards!! it was nice meeting you guys at the pool. i agree-- we should've met eachother a long time ago. sounds like you guys have a great trip planned for san diego. have a really fun time. you guys really deserve it. i am so excited to be at the point you guys are finally at.only one more year....ugh

Criscell said...

Way to go, you guys!! Good luck Jeff! That's such a great accomplishment--wish we could change places with you! Have fun in San Diego.

Sam, Kim and E-Z said...

Saturday is just around the corner. Good luck to Jeff. One down one to go. So exciting! We'll be thinking of you guys.

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Wow 7 hours of testing, YIKES! Good luck Jeff. And I am excited for your upcoming well deserved trip to San Diego. Can't wait to see the fun pic's!

Brad and Darci said...

Hey Hilary-
I am so glad that you found my blog! It has been forever! Good luck to your husband- that is crazy! I am excited for you to have more time with him though- I can't imagine!

mandalynette said...

i'm going to san diego too...in one week from today! woohoo!!!perhaps we will see you there! i'm a little late to wish jeff good luck, so instead i'm going to say congrats! have fun in san diego!

Kami @ Sweet Charli... said...

Wow! Sounds like he is a hard worker! Good Luck Jeff! Have fun in San Diego...I love that place!