this last weekend was a little bittersweet for a couple reasons. first off, jeff just finished his finals week of his 2nd year of school. which means, he is done with the whole classroom thing. forever! sweet!! granted, he still has 7 years left of medical school, but no more sitting in the classroom and taking notes kind of a deal. so he took a weekend off of studying for once and we celebrated. i was so happy i got to hang out with him a little more this weekend! we went out to eat and to a movie. i know, we are big partyers. now what makes this news bitter is he now has 4 weeks left of exclusive studying for the boards. he is so determined and dedicates so much time to studying. i've said this before, but i honestly don't know if i'll ever understand how much he does and how much work it is. the other night we talked about how much fun these next few weeks are going to be. we're on a strict schedule so he can really have some structure and focus. bed time is at 9:30, and we get up at 5 am. yes, i said we. i've been going to a cycling class at 5:30 am and i'd like to say i'm proud of myself for making it consistently. (those of you who know me, know that i'm not a morning person.) this is an example of his ground hog's day for the next few weeks. 5 am: wake up, work out, read scriptures. head to the school. 7-12: study. 12-1: lunch. 1-6: study. 6-7: dinner. 7-9: study. 9:30 pm: bed. 5 am: wake up and repeat. doesn't it sound fun?? my poor husband. this is also one of the few times i've ever seen him stressed in his life. this test pretty much determines our future. he tells me how he really wants to do well so he can get into an ophthalmology residency. i know everything will work out and that he will do well. i just want him to be happy with his results too! i can't wait for the boards to be over! 3rd and 4th year sound like heaven compared to 2nd year and we are anxiously awaiting to start in july.
i received some sad news at work last week which also made it bittersweet. first of all, i love my job. not because i get to work at a darling furniture store, but because i get to work with the cutest family. for the past 8 months i have been fortunate enough to watch my bosses girls twice a week, or nanny, i guess you could say. although this wasn't the job i originally applied for, it has been one of my favorite jobs yet and i wouldn't trade it for the world! so the sad news? my boss is selling the business to one of our current employees, whom i also love working with. but the sad part: i won't be spending 2 days a week anymore with her girls. i have become attached to these girls and it's going to be hard not seeing them and my boss so often anymore! despite how difficult the decision was for them to sell, and despite how sad i am, i am excited and happy for them to have more time for their family. they were running 2 businesses and were very busy to say the least. but i couldn't help but be a little selfish and sad for myself when she told me! it won't be for a while and i'll still be helping out alot with the transitioning of ownership for the next month or so, but i'm just going to miss them! it's weird to think this wasn't the position i applied for. i know i was supposed to have this job and that heavenly father is just preparing me for things to come. i guess we'll just have to have a baby soon so i can fill that part of my life... don't get any ideas. when i say soon, i mean within the next decade or so. :)
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
bittersweet
Posted by hilary at 12:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Wow! I am impressed with the schedule!! That sounds like craziness! Tell him good luck on the boards! He'll do great. And props for getting up and going to a cycling class!! That's awesome!! Sorry about your boss selling the business..but that is good she'll get to spend more time with her little fam..and like you said...maybe you'll just have to have a little baby to fill the void! ;-)
good luck jeff, i know you guys will do great! for the record, scott loved rotations so much more than class work. i have never had a happier husband, he loved practicing and enjoyed every second!
I am so glad Jeffrey is done with finals, and just think - the boards will be over soon so you guys can come home!! I know he will do well on them. And that is such a bummer about your job. It would be so hard to have to stop babysitting those girls. But at least you really like the store you work at, too. I am sure it will all work out. I am so glad that you have loved your job so much!! P.S. having a baby wouldn't be such a bad thing :)
You are truly one of the most good hearted people I have ever met, my dear Hilary. It's been really great to hear from you and I enjoy reading your blog. It brings back a lot of memories! I feel for you with your husbands schedule; driving out here from Utah was the most time my husband and I have spent together since we got married! I guess it's a blessing to have such dedicated husbands that want to provide for us. Love ya Hil!
babies babies babies! i'll have one if you do... i dare you.
go jeff go! we are the presidents of the 'we heart jeff gardiner' club, texas chapter. he is totally going to be a general authority. you better get good at public speaking hilly.
Oh Hilary you are such a good wife to be so supportive and understanding. Jeff is such a good husband to be such a hard worker too! And if you do have a baby you can definitely make it work if you weren't totally planning on it...we did! And I wouldn' have it any other way! You'll be such a good little momma! You've had lots of practice with those cute little girls!:)
wow your hubbies schedule sounds so intense! and good for you getting up that early---many kudos from this-non-morning-person. loves!
I dunno how you do it because I already hate not being able to see John just during his undergrads, I'll probably be wildly jealous of the library when he's in law school. Yes! Don't wait a decade! You need a bud:) and babies are the best buds because they do whatever you want!
wow, you guys are great, you get up at 5 to go work out! HA way to go! I love spinning classes, they're the kind that makes your legs hurt for days, the good burn. That's too bad about the nannying! I would be sad too, I get way to attached to kids! YOu are going to be a great mother! Good luck with the next couple of weeks, I feel for ya!
Hey hil. So yes, that was Jena you saw on the Today show! She is there with her inlaws, and though I wish I was there too, I am not! I am actually in Denver watching her little girl!
K i have wanted to get up and do a 5:30 a.m. class but I just can't get myself to do it! You're AMAZING! And I think that's awesome that you stick to the same schedule as Jeff. GOOD LUCK this next month! :)
Hilary- now you are going to make me cry AGAIN! I am up late and unable to sleep thinking about all the changes that have happened so fast and my thoughts turned to you so I decided to check out your blog. I know I have told you before, but you were one of the hardest parts of letting the business go because you have become such a big part of our family. You have been so amazing to my girls and they just adore you and look forward to the time they get to spend with you. You have been their 2nd mommy and have given them so much love, and for that, I love and appreciate you so much. You are going to be an amazing mother someday- that is if we haven't scared you away from motherhood! Sometimes I think watching my girls can be good birth control! Anyway, we will miss seeing you on a regualr basis, but I know we will always be close! Love ya!
Post a Comment