Saturday, May 24, 2008

getting asu residency status

well i'm finally sending my petition for residency status to asu! for the second time that is. it's taken me long enough. i think i just dreaded doing this whole thing over again, even though it really wasn't that bad. it was just the getting myself to do it part that i struggled with. here's a picture of the lovely petition documenting my residency in arizona:

had to snap a 2nd one so you can get an idea of how thick this baby is!


i had to send in "proof" of my arizona residence. proof meaning copies of my driver's license, vehicle registration, complete bank statements (one bank statement is like 5 pages!) for the past 12 months, most recent pay stub to document year to date income, 2006 and 2007 federal taxes, 2006 and 2007 state taxes, tuition costs for 2006 and 2007, and documentation of financial aid received during 2006 and 2007. that doesn't include the actual application and sources of support for the past 2 years that you fill out. who would've thought? all just to find out if they classify you as an arizona resident or out of state resident. and then after it's processed you can register.

when we moved here in 2006, i knew i wanted to finish school, but i also knew i would have to pay out of state tuition. which is pretty pricey, and we already have enough tuition to worry about. so i thought i'd wait a year and then apply so i could get in state tuition. perfect, right? well, i should've done my research from the beginning. little naive hilary didn't get her arizona driver's license until june of 2007. yes, i waited until my utah license expired (and then some...) little did i know, having an arizona driver's license for an entire year is one of the major requirements in gaining your arizona residency at asu. taxes also play a part. if you apply saying you're financially independent but if you've been claimed by your parents for tax purposes within the past 2 years, don't count on it. this affected me last year when i petitioned. but i can't blame my parents for this one, they claimed me in 2005 since i had only been married for 4 months. but why should asu care?

some good advice: if you move out of state and plan to finish school at a university (atleast asu) with in-state tuition, get your stinking driver's license asap!

although, i was disappointed i didn't get residency status at asu last year, i believe it was for the best. it allowed me to explore other options for school. i went to glendale community college in hopes that they would grant me in-state tuition. the procedure here for residency classification was like night and day compared to asu. they pretty much asked me 2 questions to determine tuition: have you lived in arizona for one year? and do you have an arizona driver's license? yes. and yes. then they handed me a form to fill out and get registered. wait, that's it? i was kind of in shock after dealing with asu. no documentation was even asked for to back up this information. did i mention the tuition costs were like night and day as well? i guess that's the difference between community college and universities. but finally, something was going to work out and i was happy! i attended gcc fall and spring of this last school year and really enjoyed it!

now i'm hopeful everything will run smoothly with my transferring to asu this year. and hoping that petitioning a year later will have given me a clean slate this time. one last step of the process is getting it notarized. so i'm headed to the bank this afternoon to do just that, and then off to asu she goes! wish me luck!

14 comments:

Chelsie said...

Good Luck Hill!! Man, judging by the size of that paperwork...I wish you extra luck so you don't have to do it again..yikes!

erin said...

if you were texan, i would have gladly notarized your novel for you. i'm so proud my little sister will graduate from asu... that is righteous.

Ryan and Heidi said...

Oh man! I hope it works out for you this time! Filling all of that out can't be much fun!

Amy said...

I can't believe how thick that is. What a pain! Let us know what you find out.

amy g said...

man, that sucks. My bro went to ASU. he still has his arizona driver's liscense. he hasn't lived in arizona for 7 years! haha, good luck i hope you get it all figured out!

Anne said...

Paper work is a pain! Hopefully you will get it easier with all your credits transferring. Question. Will you guys be up before July? We are moving June 24th and then won't be home till XMAS and I miss ya!

Paige said...

That sounds like a nightmare! I hope you get residency this time. College is expensive enough as it is and then with medical school I can't even imagine what your loans are like! Good thing doctors make good money. :)

reagan: said...

Good luck! That is too much paper work for my taste! YOUZA!

Kat and Bobby said...

what a pain! It will all be worth it though! I love ASU and if I hadn't one to BYU...I would have gone there! I love that campus (and their track team rocks). Miss you Hil! Thanks for your sweet comments!

Ashley said...

Holy Moly! I don't blame ya for dreading to fill all that out again! I wish you much luck girl! :)

kalie said...

I hear you on the driver's license thing... but it all works out in the end. I think your residency app was just as thick as mine! It's like, "How can they deny me after I've gone through the trouble of finding all this stuff??" I guess that's why they make the process so difficult, to weed out the fakers. :) Congrats!

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Hillay - thanks for your cute comment on my blog! We will definitely have to get together with you guys when we are back in September! I hope you guys have a fun summer! So - I feel your pain with that whole residency status, that is nuts! GOOD LUCK! Our address, driver's license, and car insurance is in three diff states! We have moved so much and will be moving again once he graduates in December, it is just too much of a hassle to get it all changed!

Brooke said...

I hate having to do paperwork, hopefully this is the last time you have to! I'm excited you guys are coming in July, my due date is July 31. That part isn't very fun, it will be hot and it will cut my summer in half. Oh well. We will get together, maybe go boating or to dinner! Call us!

Kami @ Sweet Charli... said...

WOw Hil, that's quiet the packet! Good luck! I don't want you to do it again!